Sunday, December 4, 2016

Lentil Soup to warm you up this Michigan Winter

During the winter you will always find a pot of soup on at my house. I am someone who can eat the same thing the entire week. Lucky for me my husband is the same way. Unfortunately, he is not as adventurous with the variety of foods he eats so we often eat two entirely different meals. Mine on the healthy side and his not so much...... I'm trying to convince him that when I say he needs to eat veggies potatoes don't count. He's a work in progress
This weeks soup is a oldie but goodie in my soup pot. I make this Lentil soup at least 2-3 times a winter, it's very versatile. You can either eat it as a Meatless Monday soup/ vegetarian recipe by omitting the meat; Or you can add ground beef or ground turkey. I add grass fed organic beef when my body tells me I need the beef, but normally I use ground turkey. Soup and salad makes a great warm me up winter lunch or dinner.

Lentil Soup
Ingredients

1 lb grass fed ground beef or organic turkey
2-3 diced carrots
1 small onions diced
1 clove garlic- minced
4 cups of vegetarian broth (About 2 cartons)
1 16 oz can of stewed diced tomatoes
1/2 cup portabella mushrooms- sliced
3/4 cup dry lentils
2 celery stalks - diced
2 TBSP parsley- I use fresh
2 tsp Pink Salt
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
Brown meat, onions and mushroom.  Add all ingredients into slow cooker and cook on medium for 4 hours.  Discard bay leaf
* Always use organic vegetables, meat and broth if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment