Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving

Wow, where did this year go?  I have heard this everywhere this week.
Can't believe it is Thanksgiving already.  I believe we truly have so much to be thankful for. I was challenged this year to think of 3 things daily that I am thankful for before bed each night. You know what happened?  I woke up with a grateful heart.

I have been asked to start food blogging again on a "normal" basis; and what better day than the one where we give thanks. While I won't be posting my entire dinner, I will give you some highlights.

Between fall and spring, I truly cannot tell you which is my favorite.  Spring is the start of new beginnings of course farm markets abound. Who can't love that?
But Fall has a special place in my heart, um stomach :).  The fall harvest has some of my favorites that I make throughout the winter as long as they are available.
One of the things I grab as soon as I see them is Cranberries.  I freeze them to put in smoothies and they are the star in many baked goods as well as fresh dishes for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

So the Star of this blog post will be none other than Cranberries!!

Growing up we knew nothing other than cranberry sauce in a can.  As I became an adult foodie who loves fresh and organic fair I make my "Cranberry Sauce" more like a chutney than a jellied sauce.

Ingredients:

3 cups fresh cranberries
Juice of 1 lemon
1 granny smith apple diced
1 cup frozen mango (pineapple would work well too)
1 cup chopped almonds (almonds, walnuts or pecans work well)
1 Tbsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp Grade A maple syrup
1/4 cup water


Put 2 cups of cranberries in food processor and blend till well chopped.  Add remaining ingredients except water to food processor . As 'sauce' starts to get to consistency of almost a dough add water till desired consistency achieved.  I like mine between apple sauce and a chutney. I like to still be able to crunch into the nuts.  I hope this becomes a favorite in your home too.
* Use organic where possible

How to video
https://www.facebook.com/cpozek/videos/10207418923621667/


No comments:

Post a Comment